Thursday, April 7, 2011

WonderCon 2011 - Sunday

I got up at 7:00 on a Sunday so I could get to WonderCon at 9:00, 2 1/2 hours before the Doctor Who panel.
- There are a lot of Chinese people in San Francisco. Weird, and unexpected, I know. Particularly in Chinatown.
- Some of the more memorable costumes I've seen outside of the Masquerade: [I wrote this list on the bus]
- The alien from Alien, including a several-feet-long tail.
- The Predator from Predator.
- Slave girl Leia - and she pulled it off.
- A few Zatanna. They looked kinda uncomfortable.
- Various Death Star officers.
- Strangely, I think I only saw one Doctor. [I saw at least half a dozen Doctors on Sunday, and several more people just wearing fezzes. Fezzes are cool.]
- A few Dr. Horrible.
- Many steampunk people, of varying degrees of quality.

In line for and waiting for the Doctor Who panel:
- There was guy in line behind me wearing a t-shirt with: Blue Lantern Corps symbol + The Flash's symbol = The Flash in the Blue Lantern Corps's symbol (whose power comes from and creates Hope).
1. I am pleased that there is a t-shirt for this.
2. I am pleased with myself for recognizing this.
- THIRD ROW! Getting here 2.5 hours before the panel was so worth it. That wasn't even that early.
- Not only am I in the third row, I'm directly in front of the moderator's podium.
- So many Doctor Who fans in one place. [That was probably the best part of WonderCon, actually. Being in a huge crowd of nerds. We are, in general, a nice crowd.]

The panel had Neil Gaiman and Mark Sheppard! Weee! And Toby Haynes, who directed the last two episodes of the last series and the first three of this coming series. Neil Gaiman wrote the fourth episode of this series, and Mark Sheppard is appearing in the first two-parter.
- "Nixon is scary." - Mark Sheppard. He compared Nixon to other Steven Moffat monsters.
- Neil Gaiman taunts the audience with a flashdrive that contains his episode.
- Mark Sheppard fanboy moment - seeing 9/10's TARDIS (which is appearing in this series, for some reason)
- "Vancouver is a double for everywhere." - MS.
- TH says that his next job is directing Sherlock, and MS begs for a part in the show.
- NG is appearing as himself in an episode of The Simpsons this fall.
I'm sorry. I could have written more, but I was watching and taking pictures instead. They played a clip from NG's episode, which includes Time Lord sign, and a scene with MS, in which he acts disrespectful towards Nixon while talking to him on the phone. I am very much looking forward to seeing how he interacts with the rest of the cast.

Terra Nova panel:
A new show in which people from a dystopic future (the year 2149), go on a one-way trip to 85 million ybp (via a supercollider-caused time crack. Whatever) . It's described as a "postmodern scifi western." I didn't think much of the show before the panel, but I might watch some of it now. Which, of course, is the point of having a panel for it.
- It stars Jason O'Mara (who was in the US version of Life on Mars) and Stephen Lang (who played the bad guy in Avatar).
- "I only do shows that include time travel as part of the premise." - JO
- Oh whoa! JO is Irish? [I immediately liked him more. Am I shallow or what? At least I'm pretty sure he's Irish. I don't know what else that accent could be]
- The show will include a twist on time paradoxes.
- JO takes pictures of the audience at various points in the panel.
- This is another very expensive show.
- It took 12 weeks to build the Terra Nova set in Australia.
- The show will include feathered dinosaurs, which were made using motion capture suits on human actors.
- Sonic weapons.

Thundercats panel:
Some of the people with whom I chatted before the Doctor Who panel helped me acquire a seat in the front row! Thundercats, if you don't know, was a cartoon from the 80s. It now has a cult status, particularly among people who grew up watching it (which doesn't include me, but hey, io9.com recommended going to it, and I was in the front row). A re-imagining of the show is currently in development. The animation is beautiful - lots of detail and generally good-quality animation.

On the Floor:
- Wow, I did not know that the Firefly soundtrack is out of print.
- I noted to Zach Weiner (author of SMBC comics) that lefties rule. He concurred.
- An explanation as to why DC won WonderCon so resoundingly: Marvel is lame. I talked to a vendor, and he said that this is the first time in a while that Marvel has even had a booth here, so obviously they didn't have a panel for any of their three movies coming out this year. DC wins. They gave me free stuff and had lots of panels.

I didn't stay long enough for the people to kick us out of the building, but vendors had started to break down their booths. Thankfully the hostel let me keep my car in the parking lot even though I had checked out, so I didn't have to find parking downtown. Yay. And I only got lost about three times trying to get out of San Francisco. Yay for cellphones and the internet, and Mothers who use cellphones and the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment